Skip To Main Content

New Wi-Fi Technology Enhances Teaching, Connectivity

Students across the Long Beach Unified School District began the 2022-23 school year in classrooms with improved wireless capacity thanks to a districtwide Wi-Fi upgrade. The update enhances technology-based teaching and supports more connected devices in the classroom without sacrificing performance.

More than 5,000 existing wireless access points were replaced with new hardware that transmits superior range and speed, allowing students in classrooms of all sizes to simultaneously stream high-definition video or other digital learning materials. The upgrade supports aging devices and improves power efficiency for Chromebooks and other connected equipment. The District’s previous Wi-Fi technology, which divided Internet speed among a limited number of users, no longer received manufacturer support.

Approximately 80% of the project’s $4.9 million cost is covered by the Federal Communications Commission’s e-rate program, which reimburses schools and libraries for investments in telecommunications and information services. The remaining 20% is funded by Measure K.

Upgrades that ensure students have access to 21st century technology are planned under Measure Q, the District’s proposed bond measure. Planned improvements include state-of-the-art computer labs and other digital resource spaces, enhanced wireless capacity in career technical education classrooms and other advancements that help students develop the vital skills required to succeed in college and compete in today’s economy.

Measure Q will appear on the ballot for the 2022 general election, set for Tuesday, Nov. 8.